Pet Safety Tips for Autumn

Autumn has arrived—like any season, it brings with it a few potential pet hazards to be aware of. In this article, your Unionville, ON veterinarian tells you about five common fall-time hazards and how to have your pet avoid them.

Colder Temperatures

First and foremost: the temperatures drop this time of year. It’s especially cold at night, so take care to make sure your pet has all he or she needs to stay warm. A plush pet bed with a few soft blankets should do the trick. Some pets even enjoy animal sweaters!

Insecticides, Rodenticides

With the temperatures outside falling, rodents and insects seek warmth inside our homes during the autumn. Homeowners often use insecticides and rodenticides to combat these pests, but remember that these products can poison our animal companions just as easily as the pesky critters they’re designed to get rid of! Place pesticides with extreme caution, and consider pet-safe alternative options like manual traps. Ask your vet for more advice.

Wild Mushrooms

Autumn is peak season for mushroom growth. It’s very unlikely that your pet will encounter a poisonous mushroom in the backyard, but it’s better to be safe than sorry—don’t let your pet investigate any mushrooms he or she may find. Even benign varieties may have been sprayed with weed killer or fertilizer, which you don’t want your furry friend ingesting.

Wild Animals

Autumn is prime time for snakes, who are preparing to hibernate for the winter. They’re extra grumpy this time of year, and snake bites tend to increase amongst our house pet population as a result. Snakes like areas of thick underbrush where they can hide, so don’t let your pet explore these zones unaccompanied.

Other creatures like possums and raccoons are active this time of year as well, and can cause injury if startled by a dog or cat; when your pet spends time outdoors, keep a close eye on them to keep them from danger.

Antifreeze

As winter approaches, car owners may be adding antifreeze to their engine compartments. Antifreeze contains a chemical called ethylene glycol, which is a sweet-tasting alcoholic substance that is extremely toxic. Keep pets inside when using antifreeze, and store it safely where pets can’t reach. If you spill antifreeze, clean it up immediately.

Would you like more tips on keeping your animal companion safe this fall season? Give your Unionville, ON veterinarian a call today.

Comments are closed.